LinkWithin

Monday, October 4, 2010

PINK is my favourite colour

Yesterday while I cheered on my baby Terrell Owens as his Bengals took on the Browns I turned to my husband and told him just how awesome it was that the NFL honours Breast Cancer awareness with their "A Crucial Catch" campaign
I LOVE seeing all the players, coaches, refs etc. wearing touches of pink as seen here on my man:

via
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens(notes) catches a 78-yard touchdown pass against the Cleveland Browns in the second quarter of an NFL football game Sunday, Oct. 3, 2010, in Cleveland.

It was so funny because after I told Philip that I saw that Claire had said the same thing on her fb status :) We are so in sync :)

A couple of months ago I read an excerpt from this powerful book:


Here's a little background for you in case you don't know the story:

The powerful and inspiring memoir by Nancy G. Brinker, founder
and CEO of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.
Growing up, Nancy and her sister Suzy were inseparable, with the elegant, socially poised Suzy serving as younger sister Nancy’s best friend and role model. Then in 1977, at the age of thirty-three, Suzy was stricken with breast cancer. Three years later, having endured an uninformed doctor, surgeries that left her feeling mutilated and stripped of her sexuality, and fighting through several grueling courses of
chemotherapy and radiation, Susan G. Komen lay dying. Toward the end, she begged her sister to do something, anything, to make sure that other women with breast
cancer would not have to suffer as she had from the ravages of this deadly
disease.
"Promise me, Nanny," she said. "Promise me you won’t let it go on
like this."
Her heart broken, Nancy promised: "I swear, Suzy. Even if it
takes the rest of my life."
At that moment, Susan G. Komen for the Cure was
born.
Promise Me is the story of how that vow launched Nancy on a
thirty-year-long mission to change the way the world thought of, spoke of, and
treated breast cancer. Brinker’s unparalleled success at turning $200 and a list
of would-be donors into a movement that has saved the lives of millions of women
was recognized by President Obama in August 2009, when he awarded Brinker the
Presidential Medal of Freedom. "In the months after making that promise," the
President noted, "Nancy lay awake at night wondering if one person can really
make a difference. Nancy’s life is the answer."
By sharing Promise Me with your own sister or your loved one, together you can join the global movement to end breast cancer forever
I had tears streaming down my face! At that moment I knew I had to do something to do my part. I immediately asked via facebook if anybody was participating in the Race for the Cure and could use an extra team member. Luckily our Jessie got back to me and said I could join her team. I was SO happy! Not only did I now have a team, but it meant I would be getting to spend some time with one of my best girlfriends! After our college & working for the local newspaper days, I don't get to see Jess nearly enough! So even though we're "real life" friends, I'm still thankful to keep in touch with her via her fabulous blog "Life." Our team is called "TuTu Wild About Ta-Tas" and this is a sneak peak of our team shirts:
We are also going to be wearing TuTus that one of our team members was nice enough to make for us :) I have always wanted to be able to say I ran a 5K and I'm super proud to say this will be my first. Reading Erin's post over her Race for the Cure experience yesterday made me even more excited :) Just like her family was there to cheer her on, my dad will be there for me to cheer me on :) Just like he did when I participated in the Relay for Life:
*I have the world's most loving, most supportive daddy in the whole world! I love you papa!
I cannot wait! It's going to be such a great time for an even greater cause!!! I love thinking that me, just one person in this entire universe, can make a difference.

0 comments:

Post a Comment