LinkWithin

Monday, January 17, 2011

Keeping the Dream Alive!

You know that question that asks if you could have dinner with anyone from the past who would you choose? Martin Luther King Jr., would most definitely be at the top of my list. As a girl I loved learning about him in school. I was infatuated with him and just so heartbroken by his murder. As a mixed girl (Mexipina! Half Filipino and half Mexican ethnicity) there are times growing up where I wished I had the all American girl looks. Especially moving to a small Texas town in the middle of junior high (awkward!). Prejudice is a nasty, nasty thing. Yet sadly it's something we are all guilty of. Nothing upsets me more than narrow-mindedness.

Thank God for peaceful, amazing men like Martin Luther King, Jr. to pave the way for us. Because of his efforts, I was able to embrace my roots and be thankful for the way God made me and not ashamed that I had tanner skin than some of my classmates.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Gives me goosebumps when I read his speech even now.


May we always remember this amazing man!
Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!!! xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment